Heritage Journeys Family History Research & Historic Sites Tour of Dublin and The Republic of Ireland
Sept. 20 – 26
Complimentary transfers and a one day bonus tour in Northern Ireland for those booking both the Dublin and the Belfast tours
Experience the treasures of Ireland!
Experience the treasures of Ireland. Join us for a family history research extravaganza and enchantingly inspiring sites of the whole of Ireland. Receive instruction and research guidance from premier genealogists and historians. Learn of the rich history of the Emerald Isle from enthusiastic experienced guides. We will have top notch accommodations and comfortable transportation. There will be plenty to do with and for those partners who are not smitten with the genealogy bug.
The first half of our tour is presented by ancestryireland.com
- Small group tour (15- 20 people)
- All ground transportation including transfers to/from airport
- Accommodations at 4 star hotel centrally located
- Breakfast daily at hotel
- Some other meals including welcome & farewell dinners
- One of a kind unique historical and heritage tours as indicated on itinerary
- All applicable entrance fees
- Professional Genealogist Expert Guide
- Local Professional historical guide
Sept 20 – Sept 26, 2015
Arrive in Dublin and our hotel near St. Stephens Green a location central to research, shopping, and sightseeing.
Depending on your time of arrival you may wish to:
- Visit Dublinia Museum there are two grand ancient historic Cathedrals near the museum, Christ Church Cathedral and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Both formerly Catholic and now are Church of Ireland
- The day is yours for exploring this historic city with its deep history, grand shops, and incredible restaurants.
- Orientation dinner. Learn about the exciting opportunities that await you during your time in Ireland.
- A nice walk to the National Archives and Genealogical Office for a day of guided research.
- If your cup of tea is not research today The National Museum (free) is close by or not far away you will find the National Gallery and the Natural History Museum. \Note: For those who have a problem walking a taxi or bus will be needed.
- This morning we will continue our research at the National Archives
- Following lunch we will take a short bus ride to Kilmainham Gaol for a guided tour, a great place to learn Irish history
- Today we bus trip up to County Meath for the passage tombs at Newgrange. Constructed over 5,000 years ago it is older than Stonehenge and The Great Pyramid in Egypt. While we are in the neighborhood we will go to the Hill of Tara, Temair in Gaelic, Once the ancient seat of the High Kings of Ireland. It is said that 142 ancient Kings reigned here.
- Today is on your own for resting and exploring more of Dublin
- We travel south today to view the grandness of the Wicklow Mountains and the many historic sites of Glendalough . Stunning scenery and steeped in monastic history this is one of Ireland’s most popular tourist destinations. This you will never forget.
- After leaving Glendalough it is on to the Avoca woolen mills and a Mill tour followed by SHOPPING.
Our final full day in The Republic of Ireland will take us to Kilkenny City and Kilkenny Castle. Kilkenny’s rich medieval heritage is evident in the city’s treasure trove of historical buildings and landmarks, exemplified by the magnificent Kilkenny Castle. There is fabulous shopping, old medieval streets preserved and the old Cathedral (now Protestant) is interesting. A tour of Kilkenny Castle which has dominated the high ground for eight centuries will transport you back in time.
Ireland Need hotel near St Stephens Green on the north side Sites: Define what you want to do as it will help you to know what to do where.
1.) Dublin (more tourist oriented than Belfast)
a. National Museum (free, will give historical context)
b. National Library (especially manuscript department)
c. Lots of Museums in the area
d. Church of Ireland Archives e. Trinity College (Book of Kells) is magnificent
2.) Newgrange passage tomb in County Meath ( Poss. Daytrip out of Dublin Between Dublin and Belfast)
3.) Glendalough (possible day trip out of Dublin)
4.) The Rock of Cashel(South of Dublin)
5.) Cobh (Emigration Museum) Titanic Docked there. Used to be
6.) Glendalough (possible day trip out of Dublin)
7.) Adare village near limerick (Palitine German settlements, very touristy)
- There is a $500 per person non refundable deposit. Please see terms and conditions for all details regarding refund policies and guest’s responsibilities.
- Mobility: All of our tours involve walking and require our guests to board and disembark our vehicles several time a day making this tour unsuitable for those with reduced mobility.
- Travel insurance is available
Single Supplement available upon request for an additional cost.
- Many people have already been to London that will be joining our tours, so we have included very special tours and allow time and the option to do some of the tourist favorites, for the first time visitors.